Barrow (Headin Haw) WwTW is located near the main docks area to the south of Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria and serves a population equivalent estimated at 73,000.
The works includes a tidal pumping station to enable discharge during high flow and high tide events. The tidal pumping station is located in a separate, secure compound approximately 150m to the west of the main works compound. Emergency and peak storm flows are discharged via a separate storm outfall.
TES were the nominated contractor responsible for the design, supply, installation & commissioning of the new Tidal Pumping Station and the renewal of all electrical plant / equipment / controls on existing Transfer Pumping Station.
- New outfall pumping station housing 3no.variable speed submersible pumps in a duty/assist/standby configuration. Pumping station to transfer 1544 l/sec at design peak flow.
- Associated pipework valves and fittings
- Isolation penstocks within the new tidal pumps overflow chamber.
- Potable water wash-down facilities for the new pumping station.
- Removal of existing Weir SBR tidal pumps including delivery pipework / valves within the pump station
- Hydraulic physical model pump wet well
- Replacement of existing tidal and transfer pumps MCC
- Replacement of the existing 500kVA transformers with 800kVA transformers to allow for the new pumping station demands.
- Replacement cabling between the new transformers and new MCC
- New cabling between the new MCC and the new pumping station and valve chamber.
- Instrumentation within the new pumping station, valve chamber and overflow chamber.
- Replacement of the existing communication cable between the existing PLC and the site SCADA system.
- Update the existing SCADA system to accommodate the new Siemens PLC via the existing Ethernet ring and modify the existing SCADA mimics to represent the new pumping station arrangement.
- Modifications to the interface of the existing telemetry system
- Perform post pumping station completion harmonic study for the site and, if required, install a site wide harmonics filter panel.