At TES, sustainability is about planning and operating in an environmentally, socially and economically responsible manner. This comprises of how we source goods and services as part of our operations and how we select our suppliers and sub-contractors. Adopting a sustainable approach to procurement ensures we are able to deliver superior levels of service, while also:
- Protecting and enhancing the environment
- Providing effective management
- Operating responsibly within and making a positive contribution to clients
- Ensuring ethical practice which recognises the safety and well-being of employees and other individuals
- Work within the Government’s Strategy for Sustainable Construction.
It is said that buildings consume around 20-40% of energy consumption and physical resources in their own environment. Once built, construction products can be one of the main sources of pollution because of the emissions produced by them.
TES aim to be a leader in sustainable development, we are committed to continual improvement in our sustainability performance and we actively encourage our suppliers and subcontractors to demonstrate a similar commitment to sustainability.
Our sustainability commitments include:
- Protecting and enhancing the natural and construction environments, whether they are directly or indirectly impacted by our activities.
- Making effective and efficient use of natural resources, including water, land and raw materials.
- Minimising our impact on climate change through energy avoidance, efficiency, renewables, emissions reduction and good carbon management, while ensuring we work closely with bodies such as Construction Excellence in progressing operations on sites.
- Actively engaging with our clients, suppliers, subcontractors and stakeholders in a clear manner to achieve mutually advantageous, fair and sustainable conclusions.
- Providing clients with safe, reliable and affordable services and equipment while encouraging and enabling all of our stakeholders to be sustainable & environmentally friendly.
- Ensuring health, safety, well-being and respect for our staff, suppliers, Clients and the general public throughout our activities and operations.
Sustainable Procurement is a vital process to ensure we:
- Operate in a cost-effective manner, balancing this with environmental and social considerations to provide stable returns to Clients and enable sustained investment in our services.
- Comply with our policies and procedures, and with relevant legislation.
- Minimise the generation of waste and make effective and efficient use of unavoidable waste.
- Maintain and enhance the immediate and long-term performance of our equipment, elevating resource use over their lifecycle & obtaining data on carbon including whole life carbon & life cycle analysis on GHG emissions.
- Seek and encourage more innovative and environmental approaches to our planning and operations that act in the long-term interests of our Clients.
TES liaise with suppliers and subcontractors to identify and implement initiatives that supplement these objectives. TES also assist in developing programmes to help us meet these objectives and will integrate sustainability criteria and performance as a key part of our operations. We also review and report progress through Integrated Management Systems via Annual Management Review, producing KPI’s for analysis.
TES life-cycle analysis is a way of thinking when investigating the environmental impact of our product & processes. Within this method all steps of the product life-cycle are taken into account: from the beginning of the process where raw materials are extracted, to the end of life of the product or construction. As part of this process the company communicates the environmental impact embedded in its product / processes up until it leaves manufacturing & installation.
When examining the life-cycle of our product and process, we take into account all flows to and from nature, such as emissions to air and water, energy, material resources and waste. This is called Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and forms the basis for an eco-footprint and a carbon footprint. As a company TES performs LCA’s based on ISO14001 / PAS 2050 standards. All of our processes are carried out in line with the principles of the Infrastructure Forum as part of Constructing Excellence.